Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Suffering due to computers :-(

I am currently suffering a lot from repititive stress injury. Why did it happen to me instead of the zillions who're working just fine with computers? I really don't know.. it's not that I work too many hours or in crappier conditions than others. It's just like any disease that strikes few people & leaves few unharmed.

When I rotate my right wrist, I hear too many sounds.. ones that my left wrist doesn't make.. & sounds that I know are due to this reason cause I feel distinctly a loss of flexibility & rigidity in movement that is unnatural. I have a small bump on the top of my wrist.. a swelling that has appeared very recently. Sometimes I feel a pain in my arm and beyond the elbow as well. Sometimes my hand quivers when I hold a cup after working all day at the computer. Many a times my mind wants to work & produce results.. but my body does not comply. Then all I do is sit idly & look outside.

I've tried many positions, read up a bit about ergonomics. But its not been of much use. Nothing seems to really help like taking a semi-permanent or permanent break.

My entire future may be at stake due to this injury. I know there isn't really any cure. Most people cant even imagine that computers can do this to you. Most doctors think its preposterous. I may never be able to write blogs. Never again check emails. Never keep in touch with friends. Never be able to work or earn a decent salary. Never buy anything online or improve my knowledge. Its pitiable that ebooks are coming up. That assignments even for school kids are nowadays all computer related. Its worse in advanced countries where the move is to even use computers for buying groceries to watching favourite tv programs online. In fact, I can hardly think of any profession that doesn't use computers. Even doctors these days are forced to read voluminous tomes on the computer. It is only due to lack of facilities like in a third world country that some profession might not mandate use of computers!

Then again, all this may sound like exaggeration. Maybe it is to a certain extent when I prophesize a gloomy future due to this ailment. But I do know my arms and hands really ache & nerves tinge even as I type this.

I just hope the day is not too far when speech recognition which has been going on for decades is finally perfected. I just hope we can control the computer without making contact with the keyboard or mouse. Just like Tom Cruise controls the computer in Minority report (or is it MI?). But I'm no Tom Cruise, life is no movie & my faith in technology hasn't kept pace with my imagination about what it should do in future. It is eroded when I see that inspite of computers being around for decades, they're yet to make ergonomic I/O devices. It took many years just to get an optical mouse that doesn't need cleaning like carpet with dust. At the high end, there are many advances, but in a company like mine we still use mouse with cords, with balls that need cleaning (LOL)... there's a big disconnect between mass produced consumer goods at reasonable rates & high end research that is done merely to get grants...anyway.. this is digressing from the main topic :-)

In the end, this is just a dream, like everything else. Only way to avoid a nightmare is to dream consciously of pleasant events...!

7 comments:

Shruthi said...

Ohhooo you are indeed painting a gloomy pic! Take as many breaks as possible and exercise your wrist - of course, after consulting a good doc! Don't neglect it, but don't worry either!

anandanubhava said...

O yes.. the only 1 thing I haven't done yet is go to a doctor!!
At home I know it is totally unergonimic when I keep the laptop on the lap (where else!?) & type :-)
Gloomy pic.. its just a worst case scenario which hopefully wont turn out that way if as I hope technology really advances faster than pain!!

Gandaragolaka said...

try yoga. If you are in India, that is...

anandanubhava said...

Kedar.. had no idea yoga has cure for this as well.. of course computers weren't around so long back :-) but yoga has a cure for all ailments even undiscovered ones!!

Gandaragolaka said...

thats the beauty of any Indian system... Yoga doesnt develop cure for the ailment. It develops system to keep the body in tact.

anandanubhava said...

Kedar.. that's true. In fact the body/mind knows all there is to know to keep itself intact. Information is self contained without needing to actually read or understand from external sources.
Anyway, hows sarnoff treating u...

Gandaragolaka said...

well, things could have been better. But I am not a person who asks a lot from life, atleast in materialistic matters.

But may be I need to change.