Friday, October 20, 2006

Barriers

I'm facing a major barrier in my life. No, its not any wall. Nor is it any mental or physical block. It's the great language barrier. Most of my friends out here converse in Hindi, supposedly the national language in India. They expect me to know it well enough to converse fluently. Little do they know its dismal penetration down south. We hardly studied anything beyond the alphabets. Hardly saw Hindi movies. Given my poor language capabilities, I've been finding it tough to fluently participate in rapid fire conversations ever since my regional engineering college days. I've had to forsake many many friendships due to this handicap. No matter what, the best jokes, best secrets in any conversation will rarely be clarified or translated. I've tried to change it, occasional efforts to master Hindi. But , it never happens... no concentrated efforts, nor friends totally engrossed in Hindi for continuous company. It seems to happen more when you're away from home.. whether home is defined as the country or the state! Happens all the time when people are in a big group & you're the odd one out. Happened during my YHAI trek to the Himalayas. Wonder when it will stop. Wonder when humans will master the art of telepathy, which by the way I know is true, nothing beyond imagination. Till then, no progress is real progress.

4 comments:

Ajay said...

Hey man..i remember ur hindi skills :)).. gode mein chu*** and saath bajkar bees .. hahaha...me n pravi still have a good laugh thinking abt it..

anandanubhava said...

even i dont remember some of my golden gems :-)
I still havent improved at all.. mainly coz i dont get ppl to talk to.. its only now in UK tht i'm finding it terrible!! just like in krec whn northies were around!
hows married life going on..

Ajay said...

Life life is good...howz UK? must be cold there now..

anandanubhava said...

UK is good man.. am liking it.. but maybe only for a while before I begin to feel homesick again :-).. thats the way it is.. change feels good till u get settled!
But UK has lotsa culture, History & some great places to visit.. well connected, crowded & small place unlike US... every1 around here is an hr drive away :-))