Saturday, October 20, 2007

A favourite pasttime

It was always an acitivity that used to give me great pleasure. To watch old kannada songs or atleast hear them somewhere, even if in the distance on a radio playing in the neighbouring apartment. Maybe it was becauase I'm an old fashioned guy who will never become 'with the times'. Maybe it is because as a kid my mom used to play the radio every morning and as I got ready for school these same songs used to play and strike a resonant chord with my heart. Maybe its because the old times are when life was un hurried, less hectic, full of romanticism - atleast one would like to associate a memory with more glorious times. Nevertheless, the video in these songs evokes some extremely fond memories of trekking in the western ghats with glorious views afar and soothing greenery nearby.

Now as I enter a new phase of life, I can imagine and put myself - again here, the 'self' is the much abused word used in ignorance to denote the body-mind complex, while it means the self of the universe and beyond in the real sense. Though, for transactional daily purposes especially in such mundance posts of desires, memories and the mind, I shall use it in the 'normal' sense of ignorance. So, continuing, I can put myself and my 'would be' in the picturisation of each of these songs - its really beautiful !

The current song I'm listening to is 'naaninna mareyalaare'... how can one forget the ones dear to oneself? I cannot help delving deeper than meets the eye to say how can one forget ones self. The 'I' ness is and will always be inherent, though in a mistaken sense mostly till the ignorance is given up! Another song which I now listen to now is 'nagunagutaa nee baruve'.... for the sake of a single liftetime, it is sufficient to assume one gets happiness from another person, the significant other with whom one spends an entire life. But what beyond the life? What about eternity? Thankfully, no ignorance can exist for ever and that is solace to us deluded individuals imagining ourselves to be mere mortals.
'eko eno eenanna manuvu uyaale anthe toogide' talks about the swinging nature of the mind. The mind is better known as the monkey mind, swinging between one thought or desire to another with no end in sight. Basically, all songs and all lyrics are outpourings of the mind, experiencing often the 'no mind' state that gives joy!

Shifting back, its good that technology for video streaming has improved to the extent that one can watch videos in low resolution without awaiting removal of jerkiness during buffering intervals. At the same time, at a broader reflection it is to be seen that the technology to 'keep in touch' with ones memories whether it is of songs, incidents, people, etc is only keeping pace, just about, with the technology to take people farther away than their minds could imagine!!! So, in some sense, if 'progress' didn't exist then nothing would be amiss, definitely not happiness!

No comments: