Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Having a blast!

Last week was a momentous time of celebration & revelry. Taking just 1 day off, I had 9 days of holidays at a stretch. All plans of travel to various places including some treks were spoiled by rain, Naxal fear (among forest officials, not me!), infectious diseases & infectious un-enthusiasm! Thus, I had so much time on my hands & no plans what so ever. It brought back fond memories of good old school summer holidays. Many a hot & weary day those days was spent simply waking up late, eating, reading books, sleeping & meeting friends. I realized how much I've NOT grown up when these holidays were spent in exactly the same way!

Deepavali the festival of lights woke me up from my slumber & laziness, with a bang! Heeding no attention to my parents, friends & 'green' well wishers who're all up in arms against the innocuous, pristine act of celebrating the joy of a festival, I splurged on pataakis (crackers or fireworks). With great gusto, joined by my brother, I burst hydrogen bombs, eerulli bombs, Lakshmi pataakis, flowerpots, bhu-chakras & many of their kind.

It was obvious that the kids next door were outdone by a huge margin. Every kid I spoke to seemed brain washed by so called morally conscientious teachers & parents - creating zombie like robots, with the childhood innocence & joy sucked out with a vacuum cleaner! People had all kinds of reasons to stay away:
'I pity poor kids toiling in inhuman conditions to make crackers' said the housewife who makes her young maid toil 16 hrs a day.
'Why burn money' said a stock market shark.
'Donate to the poor & under privileged' said another who'd never spared a rupee for the crippled beggar.
'How can you pollute the environment' said one whose bike & lips double up as a chimney!
'I hate the noise pollution' said the fella who's custom fitted his car with ear splitting horn, reverse horn, brake horn & stereo.

I suddenly realized:
I make way too much money in my current job...gotta burn some,
I breathe such clean purified air in Bangalore...gotta pollute some,
I live in deafening silence...gotta make some noise!

Some 'grown-ups' (of my age, no more!) had simply lost enthusiasm - for crackers they said; for life in general & for having fun I surmised.
O dear friend, why hast thou grown up so,
grown to not laugh at a pj,
to not have fun doing nothing,
to not enjoy the early morning dew on the red rose?
How often do you get a chance to reclaim your lost innocence?
How often do you get to relive un-adulterated moments of pleasure?
How often do you get to step into a time machine?!!
How often are you reminded of the victory of good over evil,
of opposites in creation,
of darkness & light,
of mythical legendary stories?

To hell with the anti-fireworks brigand, the so called morally concerned, the so called environmentally sensitive, the hypocrites and everyone out to debase the culture & traditions!
Ah, the simple pleasure of speaking out your mind in your cyber-space!
Ah, the simple joy of celebrating life in the name of celebrating a festival!

4 comments:

Prashanth Kota said...

Crackers are bad. Period.

Desperately picking faults in other's arguments clearly shows that I have tickled your conscience.

To remind you in your own words - "Any sampling of the infinite is bound to be incomplete and inaccurate". I think it is true about anything you dont know about... not just infinite.

Think about it.

anandanubhava said...

What you say is completely true from YOUR perspective! Refer to my earlier poem "Living in my own sweet world". There is no absolute good or bad in the relative world, nor is there absolute reality in the relative world. Every viewpoint is due to an image of the world from that person's senses, mind, etc. The senses, mind, etc being different, the viewpoints ALWAYS differ! Thus you see how there's total harmony & no need for argument ever :-)

Rider on the Storm said...

Cool Piece of Writing...I agree with you on the fact that there is no absolute good or absolute bad in this world...everything is ascribed to a motive...and the ultimate motive is happiness..which is the moral right of every human being...

anandanubhava said...

@rider...
Happiness is not a right, it already belongs to you as part of the anandamaya kosha (sheath). We wrongly ascribe certain situations or happenings as causes for happiness & when these fail to exist, we feel unhappy. It seems human beings WANT to feel unhappy! How weird is this ?!!